Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tryouts and the Gym: Sunday and Tuesday

I am combining and I don't care!

Tryouts on Sunday were great.  Tons of effort and talent and lots of reckless bids onto carpeted concrete and into hockey like boards. We did the dreaded beep test.  I think I finished 11.  It's crazy how easy the first 3-4 rounds are and then all of a sudden I was on the verge of throwing up and couldn't remember why I was running.  I was about middle of the pack, but it was far from impressive. We also did a couple vert tests and a cutting test.  I think I ended up a little ahead of the pack in both.  The turf messed up my ankle a bit and the crossfit workout strained my wrist a little bit. 

I was pretty beat/sore after engaging in way too many sports this weekend so I took Monday off.  Back to the gym on Tuesday.  I had an interesting conversation with Chris Wicus, a former Mamabird player who has his undergrad in Kinesiology/exercise science and might be working with the Rumble this year.  After condemning my affection for crossfit we talked about cardio and periodization.  He had some ideas about cardio workouts that acutally used science over common sense to get the most out of workout.  More to come on that.  The other facts in lifting that I run counter to is lifting heavy for months and months on end.  It should really be a couple months with a couple heavy, low rep lifts a week and then a couple months of only high rep, low weight lifts. I hope to get some more info as the year goes on.

Warmup:
500m row; 1:38
50 double unders
500m row; 1:41
50 double unders
1000m row; 3:35

Backsquat:
5 @ 225
5 @ 225
5 @ 245
5 @ 275

A: Pullups
(3) 6@30
B: One legged squats
(3) 6@0
C: Dips
(3) 8@0

No comments: