Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Gym: 02/05/13

Back to Bally's for another workout.  It's quite a luxury to have a full gym at my disposal.  For the last six months I've been limited to whatever crossfit workout I sign up for and what I can do in the park with a pull up bar and some tree stumps. Now I am at a gym with all sorts of stuff.  None of it is that good, but it's there. I am going to compete in the crossfit games this year so I am trying to get better at my weaknesses. There might be too many to count. My overhead pressing isn't good. I can only get a couple muscle ups in. My olympic lift numbers are real low and my cardio isn't great.  One step at a time.

500m row  (1:39)
50 double unders (25 unbroken, then like 10's)
500m row (1:34)
50 double unders (30 unbroken, then maybe 15 and 5)
500m row (1:42)
50 double unders (35 unbroken, 15...nailed it)

Hand stand push up practice:
11 unbroken, then 6, then I did wall walks.
I did the first 5 kind of strict.  Next time, I'll try to do all of them kipping. I really want to be able to to do a set of 21,15,9 in a decent time

Hanging clean:
I was fired up to do this despite the lack of bumper plates.  Also apparently you have to bring your own clips to this gym, but I helped a dude who was butchering some clean and jerks and he let me use his.  I forgot how many terrible lifting techniques there are in a commercial gym.  Internet, my soapbox please.   This kid was standing way to far away from the bar.  His legs were pretty much straight when he lifted the bar which meant a very rounded back and then he was just kind of hauling it up to his shoulders. Oy.  There was also this old guy teaching these teenagers how to dead lift which involved way to much back bend at the end. Ouch.  I am sure what they were waiting for was the only white guy in the gym to help them with lifting techniques they have been refining and teaching for years.  Anyways I tried to stick to myelf.

2 @ 135
2 @ 155
2 @ 165
2 @ 175
2 @ 185
0 @ 190

Dammit!  Balls!

The idea was a 21,15,9 with 95 lb thrusters and pull ups, but the pull up bar was a mess so I had to do strict pull ups and that crushed me.  Then the guy who lent me the bar clips took off and I almost lost one of my 25 lb plates on the first clipless thruster i tried.  So it went like this:

11 thrusters, 6 thrusters, 3, thrusters
some amount of pull ups
6 thrusters, 3 thrusters, 4 thrusters, 2 thrusters (yuck)
less pullups
1 thruster, almost lost the weight, 9 front squats, 5 or 6 presses
even fewer pull ups

I might go to crossfit on Friday depending on the workout.  The good part about their workouts lately is that they give 10 mins at the end to work on stuff you suck at.


No comments: