Thursday, April 12, 2007

Physical Therapy: Wednesday 4/11/7

When I was looking for a personal trainer I came across CJ Murphy of Total Perfomance Sports in Everett. I told him that I was looking to start training as soon as I finished PT for my achilles, which had been limiting my explosiveness since nationals in late October. He immediately recommended Dr. Brady who does active release treatment. I was already a week or two into my PT and I liked the place so I filed the info away. Three weeks ago with my achilles still limiting my explosiveness I called Dr. Brady's office to see what they were all about. The February 06 article is a good overview of what I heard at my first meeting with Dr. Brady. He thinks that due to a couple severe sprains of my left ankle scar tissue is limiting blood flow causing constant swelling and a lack of strength. He also thinks my achilles is in the 1st stage of 5 stages of degeneration, which sounds a lot worse than it is.

I went in for my first session with Dr. Brady and he had me do a calf stretch on the wall with my back (bad) leg straight. I was hindered by stiffness in the top of my ankle. He worked my calf and then kneaded the tissue right where my foot connects to my leg on top of the ankle and had me do it again. I had easily 10 more degrees of bend and I felt lighter than I had in a month. I am sold and in for 8 more sessions.

He is covered by most insurance companies as he is by mine so I only have to pay a $15 co pay and no this was not a paid advertisement.

No comments: