Monday, July 23, 2007

ultimate: Sat and Sun 7/21 and 7/22

I had the honor of playing with Quiet Coyote this past weekend at OwMyKnee in Albany. I had a great time and they are surely destined for great things once they get a couple more tournaments under their belt.

As the original 2 seed we lost in the semi's to the the 1 seed. Seems weird right. The TD reseeded the tournament after saturday by point dif dropping us to 4th. It didn't really matter. We would have had to play the 1 seed eventually. The 1 seed was utilizing the services of one Adam "Puberty" Croce in the semi's. Greg thought it would be funny, despite us just standing in the back of the stack, to launch his patented high release, swilly, deep backhand bomb right over my head. I found it, lost it, found it, misread it, corrected myself and caught it as it started to slink out of bounds for the score. I think Adam got cut right on the spot, but I couldn't be sure. There was this big blonde dude on their team too who, when I got a block on him said, "that's not gonna happen again". I scored on him on the next throw, but conceded the fact that he was probably right and played mediocre defense on him the rest of the game . I got a "nobody has made a play like that on me all tournament" comment from him in the handshake line. I asked his name so I could add that quote to my application for the USA all star team the next time that comes around.

I played all right. Had a couple bids on d that were anywhere from 25-99% intense and I got 2 of them. I skied the shit out of a guy who was under 5 feet tall. I made some deep bad decisions that were cleaned up, some good deep decisions that were miss read. A couple stupid forced throws into defenders after working it up the entire way as a zone handle. By the end I was just jacking it every time someone went deep, which hurt us more than helped us and I felt bad cause I was an invite trying to do to much. I handled a lot, but tried to work hard when I was cutting. Unfortunately I kept getting taken out as a result of people on the other team taking strange routes or being in weird places. Twice I took better lines to deep discs on D only to have the offender make a last second correction, crash into me and send me sailing. On the last one I took off deep only to be tripped up 4 or 5 steps into my cut, by a woman who was poaching. I landed quad first right on her cleat resulting in a nasty charlie horse that is bruising pretty nice. Luckily it is high up on the outside of my quad so I am still mobile. I remember getting knee'd a little lower at Terminus in '02 and being unable to walk the next day. I should be good to practice on Saturday.

I had a great time overall. It was a lot of fun playing with Alexis and there were many BF to GF scores thrown. It made me really want to get to Mars or Poultry Days next year.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

or Potlatch.

Ben said...

Or Potlatch. Although three west coast trips in two months might be a little ahead of the curve as far as my 10 year plan to be an bi-coastal baller.

Adam said...

Towards the end of our came, when you would do that two second pause holding out your flick and not moving, I would scream out "BACKHAND!!!" to the guy on the mark to stop your huck.

Yeah, that didn't really help him though. But you managed to throw it out the back or something anyway.

Ben said...

That's funny. I try not to make it that predictable, but sometimes it (the jacks) gets the best of me. It's hard not to throw to some of those guys going deep. On that blatent jack, Redshirt was going deep, I put up a floater, he boinged a little to early and it went over his head.