Monday, July 30, 2007

practice: sat and sun 7/29 and 7/29

This was a little bit of a rude awakening. Well I guess Sunday was the only rude day. We had decent numbers both days. For d I think we were as low as 2 subs and as high as 4 depending on who was playing on what line and who was injured. I thought practice went real well although it was abbreviated on Saturday due to thunder and lightning. We played a lot which I dont necessarily like to do at practice, but because this was a new team and everyone is still learning from everyone else it was fun and very useful. We went for the 5+ hour marathon on Sunday and it was hot. We ended on 2 person relay (4) 70x70 yard sprints with pushups after the first 70 and situps after the 2nd 70 and then one 95 (goaline to back line) with pushups, and the good ol' 120 (back endzone to back endzone) to end it with situps. It was a war of attrition. Coming back to the line for my 4th 70 I was thinking that I might die of something, but my brain wasn't working well enough to determine what it would be. Hot Toddy kept us around the top through 2,3,4 and I would let people slip back in. We both caught someone on our 120 yarder to finish 2nd.

I completely lost track of how the d team did at practice. We lost the last game to 3, which was a victory I think the whole team really wanted. There were times on Sunday where I took notice of who was out there for the d line and got pretty excited as far as potential goes.

I got burned deep a couple times for easy goals. I like to play the physical defense that we are playing, but if your offender is really fast you can only contain them so long before they sneak past a bump and you are toast. I guess the big thing to remember through all this is hips direction; you want to keep the offender in front of you as they go deep and commit to them going deep and then make it a contested catch in when the come back towards the disc. I just find that really hard to do when they have the whole field to work with.

I still haven't got that big come-to block that validates being in on big points. I had few bids on Saturday and might have let one or two pass me by when I chose to get a mark on instead of bid on a 30% chance.

I put up one real bad floater and in general, except for one really nice one, my flick hucks are to high. I think I can afford to put them out there a little more and let people run them down. My mid-range throws felt real good. Like 20-30 yard aways and my breaks felt good. I still need to work on exploding out of cuts and then running by people. When I was cutting poorly I got used to people being with me so I would bale out of cuts to early.

My lower back is in some pain right now and my knee and shin were creaky to start yesterday, but I want to get in the gym today.

Mon lower
Tue upper
Wed track
Thu light, lower, speed, play
Fri rest
Sat colorado cup
Sun colorado cup

3 comments:

Beef Supreme said...

I have just one question:

what do you say to those in the Austrian gay community who see your muscular arms and legs and chiseled physique and want to know what your schfanzenstugen looks like?

-Funkyzeit mit Bruno

On the real: I'm psyched to watch Hungry Faust dominate regionals this year.

Unknown said...

what are you doing on the track or for speed between now and the end of august?

Ben said...

Meesh - Fortunately I don't talk to foreigners.

Ben - Sorry I have been slacking.