Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Weights: Monday 5/14/7

First day at excel fitness with Eric Cressey. He loves his soft tissue work so 10 minutes on the foam rollers getting after quad, hams, glutes, calves, IT bands, thorasic extensions, and shoulders.

Right into deadlifts. Last week he said he wanted to video tape me so he could show people how not to do it. I didn't have my shins touching the bar. My butt was way to low upon initiating the lift. I was arching my back at the end like I thought I saw the strongmen do it instead of tightening my glutes and "humping" the bar. By the 3rd set I was doing it more or less correctly. We use these and a platform so you can just drop them. A little nerve racking at first. Six sets of four working primarily on form and speed.
(3) 4 @ 145
(3) 4 @ 185

glute ham raises: Oh dear. These are devastating the first time. It feels like your hamstrings are gonna rip on the way down and then pulling back up you get stuck at a little less than upright and have to power through with your glutes. Im gonna feel these tomorrow.
5
4
6

supersetted
walking lunges: concentrate on reaching out far and pulling your body along with your hamstrings instead of letting your quad push you up.
(4) 12 steps @ 25

side planks:
3 @ 30 secs

core cable pushouts: step out with a cable, positioned at chest height, clutched to your chest with both hands and turn 90 degrees so the cable wants to turn you back to straight. Slowly extend the cable out by straightening your arms and then bring it back to your chest while you prevent rotating by keeping your abs and obliques tight, then turn 180 degrees and do the other side.
(2) 10 @ 25
(1) 10 @ 30

foot supported hip stretch: it's a hip flexor stretch but instead of having your back foot on the floor you have it elevated on a bench. The more acute you make the angle your back knee makes with the bench the more quad you strech the more op- not acute, the more hip flexor you work.

No comments: