Monday, June 18, 2007

practice: Sunday 6/17/7

Not great on numbers today either. White team had two subs for about an hour and then 1 for the rest of the day, maybe the same for dark. This isn't what you would expect from a team with 36 players trying out for 24 spots. (It would be interesting to see where commitment level fits into the percentages of importance as far as making this team. Would you take someone who gets a 9 as a player but only registers about a 3 for commitment? Or would you rather have a 7/10? And where does that ratio stop? What about a 6/10 v a 10/4 etc.

The teams I play on are not winning at practice and while in some aspects this is directly related to me (I had 2-3 turns in four 5 pulls ((alternating light and dark on O)) and a game to three), I feel like I am not doing enough to determine the outcome of these games/points, especially when I am cutting downfield. 8 of 10 of my cuts don't seem that effective and I feel like it is stagnating our O. It will be interesting to see how it plays out when we get our numbers up and our roles defined, but over the month of July I have to really focus on change of direction and exploding in and out of cuts and in August I need to work on seeing the disc when I am cutting.

I slacked and did not do my 2nd upper body workout this week. I should have encouraged pushups and situps after sunday practice, but it didn't come to mind.

Oh yeah and I got a d! A layout d! I hadn't really mentioned it, but I am carrying a bit more weight this season. About 17 pounds right now; add that to what I think is more important, not having played ultimate for 5 months, and the result is not being there to get blocks on discs I could have got at the end of last season. I missed on another attempt that I should have had, but did not recklessly toss my body at it like I should have.

this week:

mon: lower body
tue: track
wed: upper
thurs: lower body/tempo (probably 8 400's of sprint the straights, jog the turns)
fri: rest
sat: Invite
sun: Invite

2 comments:

Seigs said...

It was a nice D - I didn't think you had a chance at blocking it.

Ben said...

Thanks dude. It was more right place, right time than anything else, but it felt good. We are all due for some blocks this weekend.