Monday, June 25, 2007

ultimate: Sunday 6/24/7

vs Van Bueren Boys: 15-6?
The VBB are the men from the (for) now defunct CLX co-ed team. They took way to many ill-advised chances and other times just couldn't execute their throws.

I got in a good sky for a d and chased down another one deep. Jason and Greg would have loved the fact that I matched up against a kid on VBB who in their drunk Saturday opinion looked exactly like me. He was athletic and seemed pretty confident, letting out manly grunts when he took off deep. We got into it a few times as well. The first time when he went deep I baited the throw, it went up, I tracked it had about three more steps to make a play on it and then I ran into him as his teammate made the catch about 5 feet away. All I knew was that I had a read on the disc and then I wasn't allowed to make a play on it so after looking around for help I called pick. He wasn't to excited about that call. I eventually took it back after some sideline help said that he wasn't purposely trying to prevent me from getting the disc. I then called a travel on a semi obvious curl catch and huck that he had done on the last point as well except he threw for a goal this time. He got angry. Disc came back, they turned it and he proceeded to call travels on me both times I got the disc. Whatever. My call wasn't fantastic in a 11-3 game and I knew we were gonna score so I wasn't gonna let it get to me. At some point during this game I forgot how to pull. I couldn't find a rhythm and I was just tosing them out of bounds at will. I had prided myself before this weekend on some improved pulls from last year, but I just crapped it out especially during this game.

bye

vs GOAT: 11-15
What a terrible way to go out. Up 8-6 at half and then 9-7 we just couldn't get our heads on straight. They took the 2nd half 9-3. We switched lines went with different O's and just either hucked it away or would go to stall 5 and then someone would look to the dump for a second and then back upfield for two and by then there were always 4 people swarming around the disc. GOAT capitalized on almost every turnover, usually culminating on a beautiful deep backhand that would zoom out and then just hang out for their deep cutter to run down, which is exactly how they ended the game.

I played some points in the 1st half, not so many in the 2nd half. Threw a couple hockey assists. Got some decent pulls in. Had two bids at zone throws on the same point the second one being my biggest one this season where I was .25 of a second late and landed hard on my stomach which is a little achey today. Got on on a big point 13-11? Played some good d. Almost cleaned up some floaty trash, stalled someone who contested it, made it hard fought in general.

Goat goes on to tear through TruckStop who had a solid win over NY.

I felt much better this weekend. I have been on a solid curve up these past few weeks (well there was no where to go, but up for a while), but my legs are still getting tired to quickly. Basically you can fill in all the gaps in my comments with "ran around close to his guy, dictated a bit, and then got beat in, and put on a decent mark". I can't wait to siphon off the lifting when it is time and really dedicate myself to being a runner and start getting blocks like my teammates had. If I make the team I know those almosts become sure things.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice write, ben. its good to read some humble ultimate analysis and see why goat took the tournament... capitalizing on turnovers.

boston's going to ECC next, is that right? is there anything before then (furniture city)?

Ben said...

Boston is taking a month off and then attending Colorado Cup, Chesapeake and ECC.

Final roster decisions will be made on Wednesday.