Sunday, March 22, 2009

outside: 03/22/09

A small victory being outside.

Warmed up with some jump rope and an active.

Did some sled pulls and some very small hill runs, which was pretty tiring.

Split squats with an elevated front foot to take some of the pressure off my hammy.

Here is where it got interesting. I need to do hamstring curls, but my gym doesn't have that machine and it was closed anyways so I couldn't cobble some bands or cables together to create a makeshift one. So here is what I did. The straps that I pull my tire sled with are really long so I tied them to my feet/heel. I set the tire up as far away as it could reach from the end of a aluminum baseball bench. I laid chest down on the bench with the straps taut and did a hamstring curl. I then pulled myself forward with my hands till the straps were taut again and then curled it. I averaged about 6 curls before the tire got blocked by the bench. I was really getting into this especially for the last one. Curl, slide, slide, curl, slide, slide, curl and when I finished I thought how ridiculous I must look, looked around and sure enough their were two guys, about 20 feet away, chins resting on their arms which were resting on the top of chain link fence that surrounded the field just staring at me. They were latino so i quickly mumbled something in Spanish about how my gym was closed and i didn't have the equipment, etc. They repeated gym or something to me to show that they understood, but it was like a sane person responding to a crazy person, "Oh flying t-rexes using an easy bake oven, of course".

That was my workout.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

curl, slide, curl, slide... this is hilarious shit, ben. was this all in the hill-top park across from your building?

Ben said...

no the high school has playing fields down the hill from my house. These guys were watching me from the street above.

I'm pretty comfortable with the stares I get from having the tire, backpack style attached to my back and the 50 lb plate clutched to my chest, but the curls were obviously even more entertaining.